Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: continually getting urinary track infections / frequency

teash - Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:27 am

dear doc,
i started getting urinary track infections two years ago, and now i get them frequently (i have had about six and it drives me nuts). drinking water after sex helps minimise me getting them but not all together.
just recently i have started getting the need to go to the toilet alot too. when i go to the toilet i am able to go, i just get the urge to go alot.
it doesn't hurt to pee, it is just annoying as i go to the bathroom, go to class, then go to the toilet again....or the cinema, or wherever it maybe.
the frequent urinnary track infections affect my sex life as i deterred from having sex with my boyfriend.
at my last pap smear the nurse said i had tight muscles.
i am 22, a non smoker but my grandparents both have diebetes, along with an uncle and a cousin (who is 10), all on the one side of the family but my parents don't to my knowledge.
i am reading a lot of scary stuff on the net (like bladder cancer, or probes up to the bladder).....so what is this kind of problem?
please help,
teash
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:46 am

User avatar Hi teash,
Recurrent urinary tract infections may be quite frustrating. Antibiotics are typically used to treat active infections and are prescribed for approximately ten days.. A woman's urethra is much shorter than a man's and therefore makes them more susceptible. Some measures that you may take to reduce the frequency are drink plenty of water, cranberry juice, vitamin C supplements, avoid tub baths, after using the bathroom wipe front to back, and urinating directly after sexual intercourse. If you continue to have recurrent episodes an evaluation by a Urologist is warranted to identify if an underlying disorder is present.