Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: continually getting urinary track infections / frequency

teash - Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:27 am

dear doc,
i started getting urinary track infections two years ago, and now i get them frequently (i have had about six and it drives me nuts). drinking water after sex helps minimise me getting them but not all together.
just recently i have started getting the need to go to the toilet alot too. when i go to the toilet i am able to go, i just get the urge to go alot.
it doesn't hurt to pee, it is just annoying as i go to the bathroom, go to class, then go to the toilet again....or the cinema, or wherever it maybe.
the frequent urinnary track infections affect my sex life as i deterred from having sex with my boyfriend.
at my last pap smear the nurse said i had tight muscles.
i am 22, a non smoker but my grandparents both have diebetes, along with an uncle and a cousin (who is 10), all on the one side of the family but my parents don't to my knowledge.
i am reading a lot of scary stuff on the net (like bladder cancer, or probes up to the bladder).....so what is this kind of problem?
please help,
teash
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:46 am

User avatar Hi teash,
Recurrent urinary tract infections may be quite frustrating. Antibiotics are typically used to treat active infections and are prescribed for approximately ten days.. A woman's urethra is much shorter than a man's and therefore makes them more susceptible. Some measures that you may take to reduce the frequency are drink plenty of water, cranberry juice, vitamin C supplements, avoid tub baths, after using the bathroom wipe front to back, and urinating directly after sexual intercourse. If you continue to have recurrent episodes an evaluation by a Urologist is warranted to identify if an underlying disorder is present.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us